This is my personal home page. It's primarily a showcase for my artwork and Macintosh fonts, but you will also find my wells research here. There are also free Gothic Lolita clothing patterns and instructions to help you understand Japanese pattern books, and pictures of Fluff the Plush Cthulhu devouring various science fiction and fantasy writers.
No, I'm not giving up. This is a font I originally released in 2000 and it's the latest to be "remastered" and re-issued under a Creative Commons licence. Based on 1980s video games, the new version has many, many more characters including enough accented ones to cover most languages that use the Latin script. Available as both OpenType and TrueType, you can get it here.
I enjoy geocaching, and sometimes use the iPhone app when caching in the UK. The problem is that it's rather hard on power and so I have a Mophie Juice Pack. Once that's attached, the fabric cosy no longer fits, and there are none available to buy which cover both the phone and the external battery. Fortunately, I have the technology, in the form of crochet hooks and yarn, and last night I made myself one.
This is my attempt to write down what I did. It's sufficiently easy that I did most of the work in the pub. The trickiest part is the shaping to allow a smooth fit over the rounded lower part of the phone+battery combo. That part is right at the the beginning, though!
Use a 2.5mm crochet hook and Wendy Happy yarn - it takes a fraction of a ball, and leftovers of any 4 ply yarn will do. This pattern uses UK terminology - Americans should substitute doubles for every treble!
1 tr into 4th chain from hook. 1 tr into each remaining chain. Mark all the "corners". 15 sts.
1st round: Ch3. Do not skip a stitch, but tr into 1st st. 13. tr. 2 tr into last st. 17 sts.
Do not turn! 3 tr into the side of the tr. 2 tr into bottom of last tr. 2 tr into next tr. 11 tr. 2 tr into each of next 2 tr. 3 tr into side of first tr. ss to close round. 42 sts.
2nd round: Ch. 3. 1 tr into each of next 20 sts. 2 tr into next tr. 1 tr into each of next 5 tr. 2 tr in next tr. 1 tr into each of next 6 tr. 2 tr into next tr. 1 tr 1 tr into each of next 5 tr. 2 tr into next tr. 1 tr into next 3 tr. ss. 46 sts.
3rd and subsequent rounds: Ch. 3. 1 tr into each tr. ss.
Repeat this round until case is desired length. Fasten off.
Styl and Styl Round were typefaces I first created in 1996 according to the datestamps on the files. Fourteen years on, the original weights (shown above) are now Styl Bold and Styl Round Bold, and a new Regular weight has been added. The reworking has been thorough, and the round weight in particular has changed quite a bit.
My Gothic Lolita bloomers how-to (PDF, 184Kb) has been online for three years, but not linked to, as it was being tested. I have now made a couple of changes based on feedback and it's available under a Creative Commons licence.
I also recently updated one of my Insular fonts, Dearmach. It's undergone such a thorough reworking that I wasn't sure whether the new version should even have the same name.
Taisean is a new, original font available for free download now. If scribes had had technical pens, Taisean is how they'd have written. The package includes an Irish Insular keyboard layout for MacOS X to give you a choice between Roman and Irish style glyphs for some characters.
In the next day or so, when the DNS has propagated, this site will move to its own domain at www.feorag.com. See you there soon!
The basic version of this font has been lurking around my hard disk for quite a while. I originally threw it together for a business card I was designing for an author, based on the cover of one of his books. It seemed such a waste, so I brought it up to spec. Accelerando includes katakana, the first of my typefaces to do so (though I've been adding it to Astradyne as well). It's also the first font I've made with over 1000 glyphs. Download accelerando here.
One of my earliest fonts was DaySquareCut, my interpretation of Lewis F. Day's
Quasi-Chinese lettering, which I released in 1997. I withdrew it a couple of years after that, but have revisited it.
It's been completely re-designed. The proportions have been changed slightly, and the lower-case letters are much wider than they used to be. I've also added lots of characters, so that most European Latin script languages can be written in it. Not that I'd write anything more than a short title in it, mind. This is definitely a decorative face.
The latest typeface of mine to receive an overhaul is Symbats - a collection of Neopagan and occult symbols. As well as general tidying, Ogham and Runic have been added, and duplicates of those astrological symbols found in Unicode have been put in the appropriate place.